Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

Visual Literacy


I am reading a great book for a class I am taking. The book is Visual Literacy: Learn to See, See to Learn, by Lynell Burmark. I highly recommend it to anyone (including teachers) who is giving presentations. The book contains many practical suggestions about visually enhancing presentations to make them more effective.

What I was reading tonight concerned charts, graphs, and diagrams. She gives some ideas for incorporating graphs and charts into the content areas. These would be great ideas for interdisciplinary lessons!

Literature
When teaching Macbeth, divide the class into groups and ask each group to decide the percentage of blame for killing Duncan. Create a pie graph and make an oral presentation to the class defending the graph.

History
Graph the factors that might account for South's success in the early part of the Civil War despite having only 30% of all troops.

Math
Students can take a photograph and overlay it with a transparent grid. Transfer to grid paper, copying square by square. Enlarge the drawing to cover a larger surface.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Jeanne,

I’m a graduate student in the U.S. and I’m working on my Masters paper: “How are teachers using blogs in education?”

I would love to send you a brief questionnaire, if you have time to answer it.

If you’re interested please email me at:

aspen_easterling@yahoo.com
 
Jeanne,

Love the concept of visual/thematic learning. As a middle school math teacher for 7 years, I have embedded math problems into rich, beautiful stories and have found students love to SEE what they are learning. Please check out imagineeducation.org and kosjourney.com as I am bringing one of these stories on-line for teachers.

Thanks,
Scott
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats