Saturday, October 07, 2006

 

Books I am currently trying to read....

I was thinking about all of the books I am in the processing of reading at this time, and it is a little overwhelming! As a child I was an avid reader. My mother went to the beauty shop once a week to have her hair done, and I would walk across the street to the library while I waited. Each week I checked out three books, and I almost always finished them before the following hair appointment. I would not have imagined reading more than one book at a time or failing to finish a book I started, even if I didn't like it! Oh, how times have changed! Here, in no particular order, are the books I am currently reading:

The Power of a Praying Wife, by Stormie Omartian
With my husband away on active duty with the Army, I wanted an extra measure of help sent our way.

The Power of a Praying Parent, by Stormie Omartian
Raising children is the most difficult thing I have ever attempted.

Raising a G-Rated Family in an X-Rated World by Brent & Phelecia Hatch
I found this one tonight. It contains report cards in the back for kids to use to grade their parents.

Tools for Teaching, by Fred Jones
This book is incredible! I want to read it in one sitting, but there are so many great ideas that I need to read a little and try something before going on to something else. The things I want to work on now are making my instruction much more visual and creating opportunities for structured practice in my lessons. I think this book is even better than Harry Wong's The First Days of School, which is also an incredible book! I am having a very challenging year, and I need all the help with discipline and instruction that I can get!

I found Tools for Teaching when I did a search for Fred Jones' Postitive Classroom Discipline. This was recommended to me by Lonnie Jones. Positive Classroom Discipline is intended to be a college textbook, and Tools for Teaching is a revision written for teachers. Tools for Teachers is much easier reading. I may never even attempt to finish Positive Classroom Discipline because I like the other one so much better!

I am part of the Key Leaders Network of the Alabama Best Practices Center. We are meeting to discuss Learning By Doing, by Rick DuFour et al. It is a handbook for professional learning communities at work, and we have assigned chapters to read throughout the year.

My school is having a book study on Integrating Differentiating Instruction and Understanding by Design by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Jay McTighe. There is a website to accompany Understanding by Design that sounds great, but it costs $89 to login. Does anyone know if it is worth it?

I think I might possibly be the last teacher in the United States to read The Essential 55, by Ron Clark. I will have to admit that I finally broke down and bought it after seeing the movie starring Matthew Perry. The movie was one of the best teacher movies I have ever seen! I am enjoying reading the book, but it is also one that is best read a little at a time. I am almost done with it!

I have actually finished reading Reluctant Disciplinarian by Gary Rubenstein. It was enjoyable, but it wasn't life-changing. Basically it says to Be Consistent and Be Yourself. What if I am inherently inconsistent? I prefer to think of myself as flexible and adaptable!

The Fred Factor is a great little book by Mark Sanborn that talks about having passion for what you do. I don't know why I haven't finished it, because it is easy reading and very short!

I have two devotional books started. My Wednesday night Bible class is studying Lord, I Want to Know You, by Kay Arthur. We are looking at the different names for God that are found in the Bible. I really like the way it is set up. The other book, Beloved Disciple, by Beth Moore, is being studied by a group of teachers. I can't go to the meetings because I don't have anyone to keep my kids, but I wanted to study the book anyway. I thought about begging them to have it at my house, but I can't do that until soccer season is over.

I am eager to get started exploring The New Inductive Study Bible that I recently bought. I love all the charts just waiting to be filled out. However, I want to do it the "right" way, and I am hesitant to start writing in it.

Finally, when I want to relax, I pull out O'ekaki: Paint by Sudoku. These puzzles are hard to find, and I was thrilled to find an entire book of them!

I need to read something for pleasure soon. The problem with that is that I often can't put a good fiction book down! I think I should reward myself when I finish one of these books by reading something for fun!

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats