Monday, September 11, 2006

 

OVERWHELMED!!!!!!!

I cannot get it all done! I am doing nothing well!!!! I have spread myself too thin!!! I need to rest!!! I don't go to bed at a decent hour because I am trying to get it all done!!!!

The clickers take a lot of setup and prep time that I feel like I should be spending teaching my students how to listen. The technology has not engaged them in the manner I was expecting. They just want to play, even though I gave them a little time for free exploration at the very beginning. My grades are horrible because they are not doing their homework. Progress reports go out tomorrow, and then the endless round of conferences begin. The behavior in my classes is worse this year than it has ever been. There are a few children with serious behavior issues that have given this group of students a bad reputation. The non-troublemakers have become whisperers...they are not disruptive, but they do not pay attention as they should. Then they don't learn, and then they become "helpless handraisers" who would prefer to grab my attention one-on-one than listen when I am explaining to the group. I am so tired!

And then I come home to three children (ages 13, 8, and 3)who need their mother to be both mother and father during the week. I never cook, the house and van are a mess, homework is not done well, teeth are never brushed, and my youngest will probably still be in diapers when he starts kindergarten!

Today I feel as if teaching is sucking the life out of me. I'm sure I will feel better soon, but it is going to be a long week...or month...or year.

Midnight update.....
I spent the better part of the evening calling parents of students who are failing. Surprisingly, that made me feel better! All the parents I talked to were really nice and supportive. I took a closer look at my grades, and I have more A's and B's than D's and F's. In fact, I have almost as many A's as I have D's and F's. That should be encouraging to me. I can do this!!! (I think I can...I think I can...I think I can....I think I can...I think I can...I think I can....)


Comments:
I am very sympathetic. I was so excited last week about my lesson plans for the day. I had everything planned around my new technology: SmartBoard, PPT on blogging, document camera to show their writing, etc.

My 7th grade students were inattentive and chatty. I went home pretty discourage. So the next day I changed some seats, but next on list is calling some parents.

I haven't even touched the pile of work to be graded since I had to prepare for an inservice this morning.

I hope today is better for you.
 
Super mom, super teacher, and super techie- that is all we have to be! You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work. I love reading your blog.
 
You hold more power than you think with those clickers.

Create a class policy that if they fail to turn in homework, they don't get to use the clickers that day.

You'll be amazed at the motivation.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats