Tuesday, August 29, 2006

 

It's time to take a breath!

I haven't been blogging in a while. I need to get the negative post off the top of my site because I have had an increase in traffic which I will discuss in the next post. Just in case you are interested, here is why I haven't been blogging lately...

Every once-in-a-while a class comes through with a reputation for being really awful. I was in that class when I was in school. It really bothered me that a few people could cause an entire group to be labelled in such a negative manner, but it happened in the eighties and it is still happening today. My students this year are in another group like that. All last year we heard how terrible they were. I was hoping to find out that was an exaggeration. I must say that they are quite a challenge. To learn to manage them better, I have been busy reading my recent purchases from amazon.com:
I am also keeping Harry Wong's The First Days of School within reach at all times. I watched The Ron Clark Story on television the other night, and I was inspired. The other teachers on my team and I try to pray together every day for our students, but some days are just too crazy! There are so many great kids in my classes, and I am not going to let a handful of students keep everyone else from learning. I have never been pushed to be the best disciplinarian I can be, but I believe this is the year! I am going to keep a positive attitude!!!! (Yes, I am in the middle of some positive self-talk!)

Home life is busy as usual. My oldest is in the eighth grade and is playing football for the first time ever. He loves it, but he is at school every day until 5:30 or 6:00 and then there is homework to be done. My third grader has soccer practice 3 times a week, and she begins piano lessons and gymnastics next week. Soccer games begin soon...goodbye lazy Saturday mornings! My baby (who will be 3 on Sunday) has no extra-curricular activities, but he is still at that age where he needs lots of supervision and attention. My husband is begining his second year of active duty with the Army. He is able to come home on weekends now, but I am single mom during the week. I stay late after school trying to get things done so I don't have to bring them home, and then I stay up late after the kids go to bed trying to tie up loose ends and do the things I didn't have time to finish after school! We have found a routine that works for us, and most of the time things run rather smoothly (all things considered!).

Today was a great day! I had an appointment to have my hair cut immediately after school. I walked out the door at 3:15 with nothing but my planner and my purse. That's the first time this has happened in a long time! I finished in time to make it to the post office before it closed so I could mail a package that has been in the back of my car for weeks after it sat in the kitchen for weeks. (It is a baby gift for a baby born in June...I bought her an outfit for next summer because I know how I am about mailing things.) I still had time to run by Java Jaay's to get a skinny (lowfat, no sugar) Milky Way freeze (chocolate, caramel, and mocha...my new favorite drink), pick up the kids from day care, go home and open my package from Amazon, and get to the football cookout on time with the dessert I had time to go by the grocery store to buy. And then, my daughter didn't have to miss soccer practice after all to go to the cookout because it rained enough this afternoon to water my yard and cancel soccer practice! It was still early enough to talk on the phone to my mother, my mother-in-law, and my husband when I got home; try to call two parents; and check my email/statcounter/bloglines to find that Vicki Davis linked to me and I now have several new comments on my blog. It just doesn't get much better than this in my little world! Now I am going to thank the nice people who commented today. I hope your day was just as good!

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats