Saturday, May 27, 2006

 

Summer Resolutions

Updated 8-1-06 to make me feel bad about what I haven't done!

I like to make lists. I love a bright clean page of paper in a pretty notebook that is waiting to be filled with a list. I like to cross things off lists. When I wasn't such a busy person, I would sometimes make a list of things I had accomplished during the day and then cross them off just for the feeling it gave me of completing something. Now I have unfinished lists everywhere. When a list gets longer than a page, I start over on a new page, leaving off the items I have completed. My lists are always too long. I have a list of things to do at home and another of things to do at school. I have a list of errands I need to run, and a list of websites to visit. I have a list of topics I want to blog about, and several lists of thank-you notes I never wrote. I have a mental list of projects to do around the house, and I have an actual list of things my kids want to do this summer.

I also like to make resolutions. I make them at New Year's, I make them at the beginning of each school year, and I make resolutions each summer. Here are my Summer Resolutions for 2006...

  1. Read the Bible every day. Getting better...not like I should.
  2. Go to the gym at least 4 times a week. Only one time this summer.
  3. Drink more water. Nope
  4. Drink less Cokes. Maybe...I've found some diet drinks I like.
  5. Eat less junk food. Nope
  6. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Nope
  7. Read for fun. Yea! I have accomplished the least important of this section!
  8. Spend special time with my children. Yes
  9. Potty train my 2 year old. He is not interested.
  10. Begin scrapbooking again. I can't stand the mess it will make.
  11. Print out all the pictures I have taken with the digital camera. The printer is so filled with dust that I'm going to have to clean it first.
  12. Clean out the attic. Yes! This one is done!!!!
  13. Keep my house looking presentable. I think it's getting better.
  14. Plan menus and grocery lists to make life easier during the school year. www.savingdinner.com
  15. Have a yard sale. Let's wait until it is cooler.
  16. Paint my bedroom. I need to pick fabric to recover a chair first.
  17. Reorganize my classroom. What did I mean by this?
  18. Plan a technology activity for each main objective I teach. In progress...
  19. Plan a writing activity for each main objective I teach. In progress...
  20. Plan a hands-on activity for each objective I teach. In progress...
  21. Incorporate the IB Areas of Interaction into my lesson plans. In progress...
  22. Go through all my resource books and put descriptions of great activities on my wiki. In progress...
  23. Host a summer review program on my classroom blog. No one was interested... I can't believe it !
  24. Learn how to use my Interwrite School Pad. Done!
My life has a little more balance than I thought it did. I divided my resolutions into four areas: personal, family, house, school. I know I won't accomplish everything on my list, but I also realize that I won't accomplish the things that I don't put on my list. (I know there is a better way to say what I am thinking, but it is late and I am dreading picking up the vermicelli that my 2 year old spilled all over the kitchen floor.)

8-1-06: I have completed 5 out of 24 goals, and I am making progress toward another 8. There were 5 that I either postponed or decided to eliminate. That leave 6 things that I should have done that I didn't do. Not too bad considering all that has gone on this summer!

So...do you make summer resolutions? If so, would you mind sharing them with me?

Comments:
Oh yes, I have summer goals! I Wrote about some of them today.

Mine are very similar to yours. Read my Bible daily is top of the list along with working on this great Bible study that I got from a former minister of our church that helps one study the Bible through.

I'm doing lots of things with my children and have tried to set goals for them and me without seeming too controlling. (I give them choices in the chore area, etc.)

I just think it is so important to set goals. I usually center around 3-4 main big goals and have many smaller ones around them.

I also have to purchase a new computer lab and help with implementing our new gradebook at school. Our school is small so I'm technology administrator and a full time classroom teacher.

Good luck and you have some great goals!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats