Tuesday, May 09, 2006

 

It's time to start counting the days!

Everyone asks me how many days of school are left, and I honestly tell them I do not know! I could take a minute and figure it out, but I don't want to start counting. I have had such a good year that I don't want it to be over! Sure, I would like a break, but then I would be ready to continue on with these students again. From time to time in years past I might have one or two students that would bring great joy to my life with their absence from school. I would count the days until they were mine no more and eagerly anticipate a fresh start with a new group of students. I don't feel that way at all this year! I love this group so much that I am sad to see them leave. It may be because I knew many of them before the year began. You see, my son is a seventh grader this year, so I am teaching his friends. In fact, I am teaching him! (That is definitely a subject for another time...I may need to amend that "not counting the days" statement!) Some years I have dreaded the end of the school year because I need more time to teach my material. The timing is working out perfectly this year, so that is reducing my stress level. It has been a special year...not perfect...but very special!

It feels like Christmas in Room 365 (that's mine)...I received $5000 to spend on my classroom this year. This money is given by the state to teachers who have become National Board Certified. I have been spending my money on technology, and it is just about all spent. I already had a laptop computer, but I bought a projector, an Interwrite School Pad, a site license for The Geometer's Sketchpad, GSP supplemental materials, and a filing cabinet. I am still waiting to receive a multi-media cart, and the Interwrite Personal Response System (Don't know what this is? Here's a video about it). I am looking forward to using the School Pad and PRS in the AMSTI Summer Institute I am teaching this summer. This will be a great opportunity to learn how to use it!

One thing I have not done this year is get my students posting on my blog. My life outside of school has been a little crazy, and I just never managed to make the copies to send the information home with my students. I created guidelines and a policy, so it seems that making copies of it would not be an insurmountable obstacle. I guess it is a part of the same condition that manifests itself by the thank you notes sitting on my kitchen counter that I wrote two months ago but never addressed, stamped, or took to the mailbox. I also have Christmas cards and Easter eggs decorating my living room. I have been doing other things like creating a wiki for seventh grade math teachers. I can always take down out-of-season decorations this summer.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats