Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

Making Sense of RSS

So now that I am into this blogging thing full speed, I have decided that I need to learn something about RSS feeds. I found an article (through Darren) that explains it better than anything I have seen so far.

I understand that RSS makes blogging more powerful. I know that I want the readers of my blog to have access to it through RSS, and I think I have set it up properly. I also know that I can subscribe(?) to the RSS feeds of other blogs and be notified when they are updated. I have done this through Bloglines in some cases, but I'm not sure how to add a blog to Bloglines if it doesn't have the Bloglines button. I can also track blogs through my Yahoo home page, but I want them all in the same place.

What I don't know is how to explain this to parents and the other teachers at my school so that they can make the most of this 21st Century Tool! I am expecting the Fellows' Elluminate session on Tuesday to enlighten me. :-)

Here's another thing... I would like to link back to Darren's mention of the article in his blog, but I don't know where I found it! I have not found an efficient way to browse and post to my blog at the same time. I would think that RSS could somehow make that work for me, but I'm not sure how. I have begun using the "link to this post" button and saving it as a draft until I can get around to blogging about what I find. I guess that would be when I could copy and paste a quote to accompany the link? I feel my thinking beginning to clarify as I type. Oh, the power of expressing one's thoughts in words!

Comments:
Hi Mrs. Simpson (can I use your first name here?;-)),

You found the link to the article you mentioned here, here or here.

You can learn how to email a post read in bloglines directly to your blog here. (I find I often have to go in and edit it afterward because I don't always like the automatic formatting.)

You (and parents) can learn how to subscribe and use more features of bloglines here.

I found your post from a technorati search (a search engine for blogs) which I came to from looking through the recent visitors to one of my blogs in my StatCounter account.

Cheers.
 
Darren,

Of course, you can use my first name here! Thanks for all of the great information. I have loaded StatCounter, and it is amazing to see all the information available there! I've been really busy, but I am planning to edit this post to include the link you gave me.

I have been using Bloglines for a while, and I really like checking on blogs through it. I think I can also explain it to someone else. Sounds like it's time for a new post here!

You are being so very helpful! Your students are fortunate to have you for their teacher.

Jeanne
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats